- Coronavirus latest – at a glance
- US now has more cases than any other country
- Spain defends response to coronavirus as global cases exceed 500,000
- Men are much more likely to die from Covid-19. But why?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
More US news now.
News that America had surpassed virus hotspots China and Italy with 82,404 cases of infection, according to a tracker run by Johns Hopkins University, broke as the president was holding a press conference at the White House.
Certainly not in this country. Nobody’s fault. We got very lucky when we made a decision not to allow people in from China on a very early date. I say that because some people don’t want to accept it, but this was a great decision made by our country, or the numbers that you’re talking about – we’re a big country – they’d be far greater, far bigger.”